I have a love affair with diet soda. I have to drink it everyday. I drink it for a pick me up at work. I drink it as a refreshing beverage with my dinner. I have had this habit for more than 15 years. However, it wasn't until an assignment for my English class, did I stop to think if this was a good thing or not. Are artificial sweeteners really good for you? Yes, they have zero calories, but is consuming them at a cost to your health? Heck, I never even thought that my everyday diet soda drinking could even be considered a habit. So, when asked to partake in a 30 day challenge, I knew this would be the one for me. After doing research on whether artificial sweeteners are bad or whether I should even be drinking diet soda everyday, I was left confused. I now realize the only way I will truly know, is if I completely cold turkey myself from diet soda. I am not going to drink anymore diet soda for 30 days. I am also going to stay away from all artificial sweeteners and limit my regular sugar intake. I want to see how my body feels at the end of 30 days.
So, today is the start of my 30 day challenge to cut out diet soda from my everyday diet. Am I scared? Most certainly! I have been drinking diet soda pretty much everyday for the last 15 years. The only time I don't drink it is if I haven't gone grocery shopping. I usually have a 20 ounce at work to get me through my 3:30 pm to 11:00 pm shift at the Hospital. On the days I work, I have a glass with my dinner and sometimes even a glass around lunchtime. I love the carbonation of soda, but I specifically drink diet because I don't want the extra calories of regular soda. It is easier to justify my daily habit when I am drinking diet because its not like I am drinking extra calories.
I didn't bring my usual bottle to work with me, so this will be the first work shift without any of my diet soda. I wish I could've started this challenge on a day I didn't work, but oh well. I am already starting to feel tired and on a regular day, I would've cracked into my bottle a couple hours ago. Actually, I would probably be done drinking it by now. I miss cracking open that ice, cold bottle and taking that first, carbonated sip. I only have 3 hours and 15 minutes left of my shift, which I am counting down. I hope I can make it!
No comments:
Post a Comment